Sunday, August 3, 2008

Adobo Surprise!

I really never learned how to cook food, I wasn't taught how...well, aside from the occasional fried meals and instant MSG-laden canned and packed goods.
I researched on how to cook adobo online and I wanted to cook for my team so I tried to experiment. I told my team I'll name it "Adobo Surprise" because even me will be surprised how it would taste after. Hehehe.
It actually turned out to be a hit! I was really quite surprised! :-D

Here's the recipe I tried, and I really didn't measure anything, I tried to be resourceful:

1 kg pre-cut pork, washed (marinated overnight with 1.5 cups vinegar and 5 tbsps soy sauce, add 5 freshly squeezed calamansi, 5 laurel leaves and 6 squashed garlic cloves)
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 garlic cloves (wanted lotsa garlic)
1 cup cane vinegar (since I ran out of the normal one)
1/2 cup soy sauce ( I think I added more along the way)
1/2 cup water
2 laurel leaves (don't overdo)
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1/4 cup oyster sauce (my secret ingredient to all the food I cook) ;-D

All I did was fry the pork a little bit in cooking oil, I think I used just 2/3 kg of the pork (my sister used some for pork chop). Oh, you should fry the garlic cloves first, just to bring out the smell! Then after adding the pork, just add the vinegar, soy sauce, water, oyster sauce, basically everything that's left on the ingredients I listed above. Just bring it to a boil for 3 mins, then, put your electric stove to medium heat to allow to simmer for 30 mins (I think!).

Anyways, that's how I did it...although I think I added the oyster sauce last.. and if it smells too vinegary, just add soy sauce and oyster sauce.

I didn't taste it after cooking (hehehe).. however, I think it's true what they say about adobo, "the longer you keep it, the better it would taste."

That's it for today..I don't want this blog to become a cooking show blog. =D

3 comments:

Mai da Paypay said...

hey curl! do try to refrain from using oyster sauce! i'm not sure it's safe :-( according to wikipedia:

Oyster sauce is prepared from oysters, brine, umami flavour enhancers such as MSG, and typically contains preservatives to increase its shelf life.

Mai da Paypay said...

here pa:

In 2001 the United Kingdom Food Standards Agency found in tests of various oyster sauces and soy sauces that some 22% of samples contained a chemical called 3-MCPD (3-monochloropropane-1,3-diol) at levels considerably higher than those deemed safe by the European Union. About two-thirds of these samples also contained a second chemical called 1,3-DCP (1,3-dichloropropane-2-ol) which experts advise should not be present at any levels in food. Both chemicals have the potential to cause cancer and the Agency recommended that the affected products be withdrawn from shelves and avoided.

Carla said...

Will take note mai! hehehe. Thanks for the research. I agree too much of something is bad.